Global Water Tool
The Global Water Tool (GWT) is a free, publicly available resource for identifying corporate water risks and opportunities and for corporate water performance reporting.
It includes a workbook (data input, inventory by site, key reporting indicators, metrics calculations), a mapping function to plot sites with datasets, and Google Earth interface for spatial viewing. It allows to answer the following questions:
• How many of your sites are in extremely water-scarce areas? Which sites are at greatest risk? How that will change in the future?
• How much of your total production is generated from your most at risk sites?
• How many of your employees live in countries that lack access to improved water and sanitation?
• How many of your suppliers are in water scarce areas now and will be in 2025?
Users can quickly map their locations and water use data against stress indicators on a country and watershed basis. With future outlook, companies can assess risks to their operations, supply chains, new projects in order to prioritize action.
• Understand water use/needs of operations in relation to local externalities to make informed decisions
• Perform a first level screening through maps or charts capturing key water performance and risk indicators of water consumption, efficiency and intensity.
With the Singapore Stock Exchange mandating sustainability reporting, these metrics can then be used for communication with internal and external stakeholders and reporting frameworks like GRI, CDP Water, Bloomberg and Dow Jones Sustainability Index.
BCSD Singapore helps its Members apply the tool and navigate the various datasets
Download the tool Here